Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review: Aldo Valdini Hand and Nail Balm

I got this hand cream as a present a few years ago, but I didn't get around to using it until recently. I really like it. I'm pretty sure Aldo Valdini is a drugstore brand. I don't think it's available here anymore which is a shame since I want to buy another tube. The tube contains 100ml of product.
Ingredients: Aqua, Glycol Sterate SE, Glyceryl Sterate SE, Cetearyl Alchohol, Glycine Soja, Dicaprylyl Ether, Sorbitol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chondrus Crispus, Zinc PCA, Manganese PCA, Copper PCA, Sodium Carbomer, Propylene Glycol, Parfum, Benzyl Alchohol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Isopropylparaben, C.I. 15510, 19140, 42090.

I'm pretty sure the ingredient list is in German (the cream is made in Germany). It has quite a few moisturizing ingredients. The two sterates, Cetearyl Alchohol, and Glycine Soy are all emollients. Sorbitol is similar to Glycerin (which means it's good for your skin). Chondrus Crispus (two words that sound amazingly cool together) is a red algea. The packaging does say that the cream has "sea minerals and algea" in it. I'm not sure red algea really does anything for the skin, but it is thought to have aphrodisiac qualities, as well as work as a cure for male impotence. How could you not want that in your hand cream?

The other ingredients are the "sea minerals" (which I suspect of doing nothing), preservatives, and dyes. It also has alchohol which is great for drying out skin as well as causing irritation...

To be honest, this cream isn't even that moisturizing. It's certainly not a heavy duty moisturizer. What is like about it is that it absorbs really quickly. I don't like walking around with greasy hands, and this works right away! I also don't have very dry skin on my hands, so it's perfect for me. I like the smell (very subtle) and feel of the cream. I hate to admit it, but I also like the light minty color.


Overall, I really like it, but I'm not sure it's a good product. The ingredients aren't amazing, but I would buy it again if I had the chance.

Verdict:

4/5 Lemming wheels - because I love it, but I'm not sure how good it really is